Monday, December 24, 2007

Cold at Christmas

I was in a Home Depot earlier today, looking for materials to temporarily repair a leaky shower pan and saw several notes saying that the store had few if any generators because they'd been shipped out to the Midwest families who were without power because of the recent snowstorms.

What a shame and what a commentary it is that while we all run around freaking out about terrorism, we're really unprepared in this country for even the most routine natural disaster. How close are we to a real breakdown, again, in this country, if multiple disasters hit simultaneously? I don't know. I just have this feeling that, years ago, people weren't left without power for weeks at a time because of weather. The infrastructure is not strong. We are not ready for much of anything.

Maybe I'm wrong. At any rate, I hope all those without power bounce back soon and manage to still have a decent holiday.

No comments: