Monday, September 24, 2007

Why People Hate LIPA

So I go out this morning to get something from my car and run into a LIPA guy walking across the lawn. On the street are four gigantic LIPA trucks. He says casually that LIPA is going to be rewiring my street and the power is going to go out. Roughly, here's how the conversation goes:
Me: Out? When?
Him: Now. For a couple of hours.
Me: What? Why doesn't LIPA give us some warning?
Him: I just did.

He then says the power might go out soon or maybe in a couple of hours because they're behind schedule. He doesn't know, he can't tell me. I note that I'm working at home, won't have a phone because it's a Cablevision phone dependent on power. I don't mention that I'd put a piece of beef in the crockpot a couple of hours earlier and that will now be lost.

I retreat to the house, cursing. I do a few things around the house, take a shower, notify my tenant that the power will be out, tell her that I'll give her a ride somewhere, get ready to leave and notice that the truck is still running in front of my house but the workers are several houses down the street. Another LIPA guy walks over, I ask him if he can turn the truck off and he says, "Why? Aren't you leaving?" And I say, yes, but it's stinking up the neighborhood.
Then I get in my car and leave because absolutely nothing good will come from this conversation continuing.

No comments: