Sunday, October 21, 2007

Huntington Is Grand


I like Huntington a lot. Previously, I rented in Northport for a long time but find Huntington more fun for its diversity and slightly more blue-collar ethic found in many areas.

People don't stand on ceremony so much here.

After looking for two weeks for someone to help me, I gave up and rented a U-Haul truck, went up to Depot Road where the day laborers hang out and was swarmed by men looking for work. Took two of them, Willie and Santo, over to Northport to pick up a refrigerator in really great shape to replace the old disgusting one we'd tossed out on the curb last night (yes, we removed the door).

The two laborers hauled the refrigerator out of the Northport garage, up my stairs, struggled to get it through my narrow doorways and put it into place. They made $50 each for about 90 minutes work but it was intense. And they were good guys. They were happy; so was I.

And about 10 minutes after I dropped them back at the job site, two other guys arrived in a beaten-up truck, gathered up the various pieces we'd set out and then took the old refrigerator itself. They were collecting scrap metal and my junk was the mother lode today. They were pleased to take the stuff and so was I since the refrigerator wasn't going to sit on the curb, waiting for the town to pick it up.

Of course, sometimes things get picked up too quickly and inappropriately--we have twice lost these kinds of safety signs to thieves, and about a month ago, the guy up the street lost his carved dog to a thief about the same time someone else lost his license plates.

But I'll take Huntington any time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY, this is EXCELLENT news, I'm glad you solved the problem of getting the fridge moved so you could use it. Plus you added to the local economy a bit. Way to go!