Sunday, March 9, 2008

Proposal on Parade

OK, I've been really neglecting this blog. Got too busy with other things.

I just got back from the Huntington St. Patrick's Day parade (Go Wildcats marching band!). The best part may have been the young firefighter who jumped out of line, dropped to a knee and proposed to his girlfriend, to applause. She spent a long time kissing and hugging him, so I'm guessing the answer was yes.

It was pretty cold to be outside for any length of time, when the wind was whipping around. But the weather could have been worse. Like Saturday's.

There were lots of soldiers and vets. It was very tempting, when Congressman Steve Israel went by with his bullhorn and asking for cheers for the soldiers with him (from the famous 69th) to shout back, "Bring them home, Steve." I bit my tongue but man, it's getting harder and harder.

Another amusing moment was the older veteran in a car bearing the sign from the Jewish Veterans organization. He was merrily waving an Irish flag.

I felt a little sorry for one little pipes band stuck on the march between a very long and loud line of firetrucks and a Civil War group that kept firing their weapons. And was it my imagination or were those guys wearing Confederate gray?

Here's a tip. If you're a company sending people down the street to hand out promotional materials, maybe you ought to make sure they're dressed at least a little decently. I saw one guy go by, touting a major Long Island company, who looked as if he and his clothes had just been rousted out of a Dumpster.

No comments: